Join us for a mysterious coach trip, on a dark winter night. Any time from the onset of autumn darkness until the light nights of spring we can witness one of nature’s most spectacular displays; the phenomenon which we call the Northern Lights!
Far from the glow of the city, you will hunt for the elusive Aurora Borealis – known as the Northern Lights. Together we will search for these magnificent auroras.
On a clear night, you may be lucky enough to see the Northern Lights swirling in a wild and carefree dance across the sky in dramatic shapes, colours, patterns and sizes.
The Northern Lights are visible from September through April but can only be seen on a clear night. Therefore, we reserve the right to cancel this tour if the evening sky is heavily clouded or weather conditions are not favourable. A decision is taken daily at 6 pm whether the tour will take place or not.
- Watching the Northern Lights flashing across the sky in brilliant patterns
- Learning about the science of Northern Lights
- Engaging and educating guidance
- Northern Lights are a natural phenomenon - no one can guarantee sightings
- Before the start of this tour, the supplier will always check the weather forecast around the south western part of Iceland. From experience, they then decide where each journey will lead us, for the best possibilities to see the Northern Lights.
- If you don’t see the Northern Lights on your tour, please contact our local supplier and their agents will book you another Northern lights tour, free of charge.
- Winter conditions in Iceland mean that paths can be very icy at times and surfaces uneven on some of the sites we visit.
- Please note while children under 12 can travel free of charge on this tour we will need to reserve a place for them in the coach, so please remember to let us know how many children are travelling and how old they are.
- Occasionally actual days of operation are subject to change. If this is the case, we will endeavour to book a day as close as possible to your original preferred day. Should this not be acceptable a full refund will be made.
- Please note that this tour is not available on the 24th and 31st December.
- All hotels and booking agents in Reykjavik are informed by email about this decision so please contact the front desk of your hotel or the Tour Desk at hotel Saga, Loftleidir and Hilton to find out whether the tour will be operating.
- As of Saturday 29 September 2018, all departures from Holtagarðar will be permanently relocated to the new bus terminal at Skarfagarðar 8 in the Skarfabakki Harbor area.
To view pick up points, please click here >
IMPORTANT: HOTEL PICK-UP CHANGES WHICH MAY AFFECT YOU
Pick-ups from several Reykjavik hotels and guesthouses have been affected by new restrictions imposed by Reykjavík City Council. You will be assigned a nearby bus stop where your transport will meet you instead.
As of Saturday 29 September 2018, all departures from Holtagarðar will be permanently relocated to the new bus terminal at Skarfagarðar 8 in the Skarfabakki Harbor area.
To view pick up points, please click here >
Visit the link that you'll find in your voucher to download and print off a voucher for Reykjavik Rost.
Located right by the old Harbor, Reykjavik Rost offers a selection of freshly made & grilled sandwiches with a delicious selection of soups. With our exclusive meal deal voucher you can save up to 25% off of your combo meal (Soup + Sandwich + Filter coffee). Delicious!
Experience the magic of the Northern Lights on this special extended Northern Lights tour that features our very best coaches and lots of treats
- Seeing the dark winter sky come alive with stars
- Witness the ghostly dance of the Northern Lights
- Entertaining and educating guidance
- Complimentary pick-up and drop-off for major hotels and guest houses in Reykjavik
- Round trip transportation
- Professional tour guide
- Warm blanket
- Light meal ( Hot soup, Bread and butter)
- Bottled water and hot drinks ( incl Coffee and Hot Chocolate)
- Meals other than stated in description
- We cannot guarantee sightings. If you don’t see the Northern Lights on this tour we offer a complimentary Northern Lights Mystery tour instead.
- The duration of this extended Northern Lights tour is 5-8 hours
- A decision is taken daily at 6 pm whether the tour will take place or not, depending on Northern Lights forecast. To confirm wether the tour will take place, please visit book.grayline.is or contact your hotel or our sales office.
- Experience the magical dance of the Northern Lights on this special extended Northern Lights tour that allows you many more hours to observe one of Iceland’s most celebrated and mischievous visitors.
- Please note that unfortunately this tour is not suitable for passengers in wheelchairs or with very limited mobility.
For this tour we have thrown in lots of treats to make sure you can enjoy the Aurora in tip top comfort. Experience our very best coaches with reclining seats, extra leg room for every seat, head and foot rests, seat back dining trays. We serve you complimentary coffee, hot chocolate and water and provide you with blankets to snuggle with and keep warm.
This extended Northern lights tour will give you plenty of time to view and photograph the Aurora and along the way our friendly guides will share some fun facts and stories with you. Over 25 years of operating Northern lights tours in Iceland have taught us how best to combine weather forecasts with experience to discover the best places to see the Northern lights.
Before every one of our tours we meet and decide on the best routes which means no two tours are the same. If the weather forecast predicts heavy clouds and we feel that chances of seeing the Northern lights are slim to none we cancel tours rather than sending our guests out on a wild goose chase.
A decision is taken daily at 6 pm whether the tour will be operated or not. All hotels and booking agents in Reykjavik are informed by email about our decision so please contact the front desk of your hotel, the tour desk or our sales office to find out whether we will be operating the tour.
- Tour departure point
The Gray Line Bus Terminal in Holtagarðar is the central departure point for our tours.
Pick up and drop off
Pick up from hotels, guesthouses and designated bus stops starts 30 minutes before the tour departure time stated on your voucher.
Check in at Gray Line Bus Terminal is 15 minutes before the tour departure time stated on your voucher.
To help ensuring the quickest possible collection we kindly ask you to stand by for pick up in front of your hotel or guest house when pick up starts. Boarding the pick-up coach please present your tour voucher.